Monday, May 25, 2009

Martyrs


I'm kind of mixed on Martyrs. Unfortunately, not quite in a strong enough way to write up a good review.

I thought the first half was solid. It was thrilling and showed enough depth to make it more than an exercise in bloodletting and transgression. The second half, however, becomes more horrible and more "meaningful". I'm undecided if I don't agree with, don't understand or simply don't care about what it was trying to say with the last half. I'm definitely sure I don't care enough to spend much more time thinking about it.

2 comments:

Lemmy Caution said...

I felt about the same way. Was really into the film for about the first half. It had me interested and really into the sick visuals and strange story.....

Then it got into the 'explanation' phase....and it petered out.

Such a shame. The whole room under the house was really facinating....but once the room was explained it was just....blah.

Neil Sarver said...

Yes, the beginning of her finding the room was good... "What's happening here?" But sadly that sense of mystery was soon replaced by an answer, which was dull.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics