Saturday, June 27, 2009

The king of pop


The video for The Way You Make Me Feel is not available for embedding, which explains why its not embedded here. I posted it to my Facebook and wrote, "As a brief moment after a couple of anti-tribute moment, I'll post this, since I'm not attempting to deny the man's talent. Is this the only Michael Jackson song (or at least hit) that's really about, y'know, doin' it? I can't think of another offhand. So, I guess it should be no surprise that it's my favorite... by far my favorite of his songs."

I've seen a number of references in the last day or whatever to Michael Jackson as the Elvis of my generation. Certainly in iconic terms that's accurate.

Unfortunately it just makes me depressed. Not that Michael Jackson didn't have the talent or the presence or any of that. And frankly both clearly lost it at some point, even if they did stop by here and there to remind the world they still had skills.

But I still prefer the previous generation's Elvis. Y'know, Elvis.


Elvis didn't have the occasional song about fucking. He had songs and songs about fucking, and through most of his career even the songs he sang that weren't about fucking kinda sound like he was thinking about fucking while he was singing it. The sexual revolution was born of the mighty cock of Elvis.

My generation gets a guy of ambiguous sexuality who is alleged to be a pedophile and whose most famous song is about a chick that he didn't fuck. What the hell kind of deal is that?

I'd like to trade Michael in for Prince, please. He knew how to sing about fucking, and he also has that weird sex vs. religion thing going on. I mean, he's clearly gone nutso too, even if only slightly less dramatically than the other two guys.

Please!

I'm really not trying to diminish Michael as an artist. You can give him all the credit in the world. It just makes me weep for my generation to think of him as our Elvis. He can be our Paul Anka or something.


2 comments:

Wade said...

I agree about many things in this post, but especially concur with the Prince comment. That guy is crazy but in a brilliant way. I remember how Kurt revered Prince during our many bus rides. At the time, I didn't think much of that groovy purple weirdo, but late into the 90s, when Prince's prominence had faded, that's when I finally started to appreciate the guy.

Neil Sarver said...

Yeah, that'll happen sometimes. And I see why people don't always get him, which is, I guess, why he's not a "king". Nobody doesn't "get" Elvis or MJ, even if they don't like them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics