Saturday, July 11, 2009

Orgy


I really did mean to revisit Orgy of the Dead for The Spirit of Ed Wood Blogathon. I really did.

To understand my initial reaction to the movie, it might be best to remember the scene in Species in which Alfred Molina is seduced by Natasha Henstridge. There's this unbelievable delight. This fat middle aged guy is getting to have sex with sexy naked alien, and he can't believe his luck, and then... well, yeah...

A movie written by Ed Wood, whose writing style is discussed in detail in In Defense of Ed Wood, and directed by someone else - Someone better? - about naked girls dancing and voodoo and whatever else... Shit, man! What could be better?

As it turns out, nearly anything.

Game On (An Orgy of the Dead picture post) has some, none too safe for work, highlights, which seem like they should make the whole thing worthwhile, but it's all so unenthusiastic, so dull and plodding.

Is it better than Plan 9 From Outer Space? Well, the modern age seems too often to judge technical merit as being the basic decider of such things, and by that definition, it most likely is. However by the value of pure entertainment value, it doesn't even approach.

People love the phrase "so bad, it's good", so I doubt it's going away anytime soon, but there's nothing right about that phrase. Things that as so bad... totally suck! Things that are "bad/good" have something, maybe you can't always put your finger on it, that's "good/good".

And Orgy of the Dead is some kind of massive proof for me. Why? I mean, how many directors could make an Ed Wood script work, right?

(Hey, that's an interesting question. I'd love to see how that would work. I doubt there's any storehouse of lost Ed Wood scripts, but I'd love to see how that would turn out if you could see some takes by leading talent out there, none of whom, I'm sure feel like wasting their time on my bizarre experiment.)

But really, topless chicks and voodoo rituals? Hi, I'm Neil, I write this blog. It takes a special kind of dullness to bore me with your take on that.


4 comments:

Greg said...

You know what sucks? Movies so bad they're bad. I bought the fifty sci-fi classics for 20 bucks, you know, the DVD collection that has 50 movies on it. Well you think to yourself, "Fifty! Even if 49 suck - 49(!) - I'll still have one really good one for the normal price of 19.99 and then all these other camp classics. And then you pop in a disc (each disc has four or five movies on it) and start fast forwarding and then you realize, "Man, I got taken. This shit ain't worth 2 dollars."

Now if an Ed Wood movie had been on it, that'd be different, but sadly no. Actually I'm kind of exaggerating, there are a couple of decent ones on there but not many.

I bet any director today working from an Ed Wood script would film every second ironically and so, I believe, the film would fail. Only Ed could direct one of his scripts.

Neil, I thank you so very much for participating in this blogathon. And I completely understand not watching Orgy of the Dead again.

bill r. said...

I remember being very amused by Orgy of the Dead. It's been a long time, but I actually do think that I've seen it twice.

Craig Blamer said...

Consider your wish granted... apparently, there's not one but two remakes of Plan 9 coming out this year.

One of them promises to play it straight, to try and pull off what Wood intended.

Neil Sarver said...

Greg, thanks for your thoughts, and again congratulations on an excellent and fascinating blog-a-thon. Kudos!

Bill, I may have to try again one of these days. I may very well have been caught up in thinking I was going to be making love to a hot naked alien and not been able to appreciate what I did have.

Craig, interesting. I'd frankly rather see something new and unique, but I'd honestly be interested to see how something like that turned out.

But I'll agree with Greg that it probably won't work out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics