Tuesday, February 23, 2010

H2


Halloween II confirmed everything I've thought about Rob Zombie as a moviemaker... with a fucking vengeance!

I don't mean that as an insult.

It makes Halloween II by Rick Rosenthal look like a work of goddamn genius.

That was my insult.

It will be all I'll bother with, though.

Seriously, left with nothing but a "horror movie", he can't even deliver a movie that makes much sense. I conclude that he's not at all interested in making "horror movies".

This, I'm sure confuses most casual viewers, as well as, I'm sure studios, and possibly even Rob Zombie.

He is clearly interested in the mechanisms of violence and the trappings that we casually associate with "horror", but he's not interested in scaring people.

The best moments in his previous works, including the entirety of The Devil's Rejects, which remains his strongest work, have nothing to do with attempting to create scares.

Hell, The Devil's Rejects most resembles a white trash Sam Peckinpah and resembles a traditional "horror" movie not a bit.

For what it's worth, I prefer the kinds of things he seems interested in, and I'm sure there are a lot of dull-witted associations created by being a heavy metal singer named "Zombie" with a history of singing about and adorning yourself with bits of the fantastique, but this has gone too goddamn far at this point. Halloween II flat sucked as bad as many said his previous movies did.

Maybe even more.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics