Saturday, March 27, 2010

Classic style


The Call of Cthulhu by Andrew Leman has been on my mind recently. It's a fascinating movie. I'd been thinking of it, to some extent or other, earlier in the week, and then was reminded again by Ninja Dixon, who apparently just saw it. He also informs me that a follow-up, The Whisperer in Darkness, is in the works. I'll be very interested to see it.

For whatever it's worth, I'd been thinking of ways this could be followed-up myself. I was thinking that someone should adapt one of the original Conan stories, my suggestion would be Beyond the Black River, in the style of the kind of swashbuckling adventure movies Robert E. Howard would have seen and taken inspiration from.

For those curious of my choice and unfamiliar, you can read Beyond the Black River at your leisure. I'm sure others would come to mind for others.

I believe that The Call of Cthulhu come to a clearer, more accurate picture of Lovecraft's work than any "modern" movies have, and that the view taken by those makers may nearly be essential to understanding them.

On the other hand, I think that a more modern approach to Conan could be as accurate and say something that this "classic style" approach cannot. But then I think people may already have too good an understanding of the modern approach Conan and perhaps it would be a refreshing and reflect something genuine about the material that many have missed in previous adaptations.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics