Monday, May 10, 2010

Frank Frazetta, RIP


R.I.P. Frank Frazetta, The Artist Of Our Fantasies by Charlie Jane Anders.

Goodbye, Frank by Al Harron.

Frank Frazetta, R.I.P. by Mark Evanier.

Painting Has Lost Its Flame - Frazetta R.I.P. by Timothy Bradstreet.

The King is Dead by David J. West.

Frank Frazetta Dead at 82? by Darius Whiteplume.

Frank Frazetta Passes by Rich Johnston.

I'm sure many more notices and tributes will come as the day and week continues. Some losses just hit hard, no matter what. No matter that we knew that he was not in the best of health. No matter that we knew the passing of his beloved Ellie would make the struggle to hang on more difficult.


I don't think anyone, in any field, inspired my imagination more, more often or during any more key points in my life than Frank Frazetta.

Other people my age started reading Conan the Barbarian comics because of Barry Windsor-Smith or John Buscema.

I started reading the Robert E. Howard collections - such as they existed at that time - because of the Frazetta covers... and then moved on to the comics... of course... although I always preferred The Savage Sword of Conan, because it felt more like the stories to me. The way the stories were in my head, deeply influenced by having read them with covers painted by Frazetta.

I stared for hours at The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta. I'm sure for some it comes down simply to the manly men and the beautiful women, but I always saw the colors and the subtle signs of deeper emotions etched onto the faces of the people he painted and drew.

Some major part of the fact that I've wanted to imagine, to create was born out of staring for long periods at Frazetta's work.

As I get older, there only continues to be more to see. Unlike too many of the pleasures of one's childhood, I only find more to enjoy in Frazetta's work.


You can see and read more at Frank Frazetta - Fantasy Artist, Frank Frazetta at American Art Archives and The Unofficial Frank Frazetta Fantasy Art Gallery.


My story isn't unique.

Frazetta just has that effect on people.

All I can really think to say at this moment is thank you, Frank.

Thank you for opening up my eyes and my imagination.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics