Wednesday, May 26, 2010

House


So, I went to House by Nobuhiko Obayashi today at the Alamo Drafthouse.

For the record, despite this being referred to as "Hausu" around and about, the movie is titled with the English word "House". The title credit is written in the English alphabet "H-O-U-S-E". Anyone who writes it as something other than "House" is wrong.

Perhaps some are trying to avoid confusion with the oft-discussed House by Steve Miner, but that's kind of silly. I don't recall anyone trying to solve the issue of Crash and Crash by pretending one is written or pronounced slightly different.

But whatever.

People say "That was the weirdest thing I've ever seen!" all the time. Some of them probably mean it. A lot of them are using it as hyperbole.

I've been known to use hyperbole on occasion, but hopefully I've made clear here that I've seen enough of cinema's oddities that when I say that House is the weirdest frickin' thing I've ever seen, it's a serious statement.

Maybe I've forgotten something, but I can't even imagine what that might be.

It's a movie that I finished slack-jawed, realizing that someone had indeed sat down and decided that was what they were going to make.

Nobuhiko Obayashi clearly made House on purpose, and that's vaguely amazing.

I haven't decided if the movie is good or bad on some larger level. I haven't figured out what House gave to me as a viewer.

I know that it's relentlessly compelling and regularly amusing, I believe intentionally, so I imagine myself revisiting it over and over through the years I have left, in hopes of someday solving the riddle. I expect the journey will be more interesting than any answer I might eventually come to.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics