Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Screeners


In the last week, I've been offered two screeners.

The first two screeners I've ever been offered because of this.

Or, at least, the first two I've been directly offered.

I've been sent and offered "promotional materials" for a number of things, including Black Dynamite, and some of those may have intended a screener as part of that or perhaps I could have gotten one if I'd tried to milk the offer.

I don't know. Or care.

Well, except that I kind of wish I had a screener of Black Dynamite laying around. But that's neither here nor there, as I'm more than happy to purchase one, as I absolutely will one day soon.

But I'm here neither to brag that I'm getting screeners now nor pout that I've not gotten them before.

I am always interested to see things outside of what's playing at the multiplex, so it's cool to get a chance to get some for free.

What's interesting to me is the two movies I've been offered seem, well, kind of random. They look interesting, and if well done could be things I could assuredly enjoy.

But they don't look like the kinds of things I normally write about here. Nor do they seem like the kinds of things that would fit tangentially in with them.

Like, I watch martial arts movies all the time, but I rarely write them up. However, I would assume that most regular and even casual readers would hardly be surprised to learn that. Based on that, if I got offered a screener for any kind of martial arts movie, I would not only be absurdly excited, it would seem to make some sense.

I've only recently kinda slipped out of the label of being a "horror blogger", but I've never even been offered "promotional materials" for a horror movie. I doubt anyone outside of the small handful of "western bloggers" make their affection for westerns as clear as I do, and yet no "promotional materials" offers for those either.

I hosted The Trashy Movie Celebration Blog-a-thon and yet I've escaped trashy movies offers, by and large, although Black Dynamite could slip in there, one supposes, but even that was an exception.

I know that the movies we're discussing are small budget and are undoubtedly promoting themselves independently. I should - and do - feel lucky to get any offers at all from any moviemakers for screeners or "promotional material". I am surprised that any of them find my little blog at all.

But I'm even more surprised that people find my blog in search of places to promote or at least discuss movies that are outside of the scope of what I most often discuss. For instance, you wouldn't find me in a Blog Search for similar movies to the ones I've been offered.

As such, I suppose I could be even pleased that someone made the effort to find me, however random that process might have been.

On the other hand, as an aspiring moviemaker, I can't help wondering if there isn't a better way out there, and if there's not, maybe someone should come up with one. I don't know, maybe some kind of collective or listing service... I'm by no means volunteering, but it seems like it could be a useful service.

I'll keep my readership informed. Assuming I don't somehow get bogged down with some excessive number of screeners, I'll make the effort to give fair reviews to all that I do receive.

Does it make me ungrateful if I hope if the trend is to continue I get more variety offered up, though?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics