Monday, June 21, 2010

Final Hex


I'm feeling pretty Hex-ed out myself, so I'm sure my poor suffering readers must be feeling downright abused at this point.

But, following up on Ways I waste my time, I actually did receive a reply from Kevin Williamson regarding the concerns I expressed about his review of Jonah Hex.

There were some responses to the issue regarding whether the original "Jonah Hex" series transitioning into "Hex" counts as a cancellation. I stand by "Hex" #1 is a direct continuation of the events of "Jonah Hex" #92, there is no "cancellation" as such.

But surprisingly enough, on the main order of contention we agree.

Basically.

I think.

Williamson replies, "I wasn't equating popularity with quality. I was just questioning the wisdom of taking a character that has at times struggled to connect with comics audiences -- there really is no one consistent Hex -- and making a big-budget movie out of him... He's a niche character. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. I'm saying that alone doesn't mean he should be made into a film."

Oh, so close!

Basically.

I think.

I was definitely there.

I mean, I think Jonah Hex has actually remained remarkably consistent, even if a couple of attempts have been made to make his surroundings more exotic. Honestly, I'd say his character is more consistent than possibly any other DC character over this last 40 years.

But questioning the wisdom of making "a big-budget movie out of him", that's is a good point of questioning.

As we all know, big-budget moviemaking puts a lot of fingers in the pie. And many of those fingers are going to be trying to come up with ways to bring in enough of an audience to justify all of the money spent, which means trying to appeal to people outside the "niche" audience. In this case, I'll agree even that's a niche audience within a niche audience.

And, of course, with a movie like this, you also have fingers in the pie trying to maintain the niche elements.

So, what you have is what this movie ends up looking like is a mess. A chocolate meringue pie.

Therein lies the problem. In days gone by this could have been perfect for a relatively low budget movie. Not an indie low budget necessarily, but $5-10 million. At a budget like that, it could have been safer, played out as a fully niche movie and eventually made up its budget as a possibly slow starting movie, but one that would have potential as a cult hit that would make money for years to come.

But then Warner Bros. owns DC and DC owns Jonah Hex and studios don't make movies like that anymore.

That's what's sad.


UPDATE: I just wanted to link Sleestak's excellent Top Ten Jonah Hex Comic Book Stories That Would Have Made The Movie Awesome.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics