Sunday, June 06, 2010

Gischler, Swierczynski and Woods


I saw Victor Gischler, Duane Swierczynski and Jonathan Woods at BookPeople. It was an interesting and fun time.

I've been a fan of Gischler since reading Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse, which is one of my favorite books of the last few years. It also has one of my all-time favorite first sentences, "This is how Mortimer Tate ended up killing the first three human beings he'd laid eyes on in nearly a decade..."

I've been wanting to read The Deputy since before it came out, and even more after flipping through a copy and hearing Gischler reading from the first chapter.

He also described it as his attempt to deal with wanting to write a western, but not wanting to read up on "horses, saddles and shit".

The whole evening made it hard for me to be at with no money.

I did get my roughed-up, well-read copy of "Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse" and my copy of Punisher: Welcome to the Bayou signed, which is cool.

I heard all three discuss their writing, and was somewhat pleased to hear that their thoughts were similar to my own.

But the most frustrating thing for me was when Gischler said he doesn't try to push the envelope, he just tries to write what he'd enjoy. All well and good for him, but whenever I try writing what I'd enjoy, well, damn Gischler comes along and writes it for me!

Swierczynski has been on my "To Read List" for a while. I'm honestly not sure what's kept me from jumping in. I've been following his blog and Twitter for a while.

Expiration Date was already the most appealing cover description and I'd expected to get to it when I was able, and Severance Package also sounded more appealing after some discussion. I'm now quite sure I'll report back soon from those.

Woods's Bad Juju was the one I wasn't familiar with before coming, but I'll definitely be going. His prose felt a bit wordy to me when he read, but his ideas were too good to ignore. I'll keep the world up-to-date.

Best line of the evening goes to Swierczynski who said, "Joe Lansdale is like Justin Bieber in Italy."

He then said not to tell Joe. I'm going to assume that Joe Lansdale does not read this blog, and hope I'm not spreading the line too quickly in his direction.

For what it's worth, Gischler and Swierczynski picked up Pleasure Model and The Bloodstained Man by Christopher Rowley, which I'd also been drooling over myself while waiting for the event.

I can't say I needed this many more books on the "To Read List", but I did get a little more inspiration to get back to my prose writing, which makes it all worthwhile.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics