Monday, June 21, 2010

New Conan


So, this is Jason Momoa as Conan of Cimmeria, huh?

I don't hate it.

Not as much as I could have expected.

The hair looks too light, as noted by Al Harron in Ol' Blue Eyes is Back: Clearer Shot of Conan the Momoan, and fashionably unkempt and, of course, the look is took shaved and glistening like a bodybuilder rather than a Roughneck, so it's not right.

But he does look vaguely like he could have have cat-like reflexes and "gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth", if Mamoa has the chops to play it.

He probably looks more like Conan than Arnold Schwarzenegger ever did frankly.

I can't help but think to my post Classic style, in which I posited an adaptation of Beyond the Black River, as an example, in the style of the kind of swashbuckling adventure movies Robert E. Howard would have seen and taken inspiration from.

And I picture someone like Charles Bronson or Robert Mitchum... No, I haven't quite managed to get an actor from before 1935 to come to mind yet.

But that is certainly not the project they're making.

They're already clearly not using a Howard story, despite "storytelling" being one of the few things that even his detractors largely agree was a strong point in his writing. Can we hope that the Conan character will be brought to the screen with some degree of concern for accuracy?

I guess we'll wait and see.


2 comments:

Sleestak said...

I hope it is really kewl. Maybe Conan could ride into a battle on a horse that has multiple-bolt crossbows mounted on each side!

Neil Sarver said...

Well, there's that then... That'd be theatrical.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics