Thursday, June 10, 2010

Total war


My next excursion into GraphicAudio was Total War, the first in The Survivalist series by Jerry Ahern.

I liked it quite a bit. More than Pilgrimage to Hell, the Deathlands book I listened to beforehand. Interestingly, in my review I neglected to express my frustration at the overextended explanation of the politics and events that led to the nuclear apocalypse. It may eventually be important to later books, but it certainly took up too much time in that book.

In the case of "Total War", it's actually much longer, but in this case it's a major improvement. Ahern takes the time to fill out the characters behind the conflict. The US president and the Soviet premier are drawn out as characters and the manner in which the conflict builds and develops.

It's also a much tighter, more exciting book overall.

I'm not sure if it's my memory of living through that time during the Cold War, this first book came out in 1981, or simply because of the way it was shown through the characters, but I was actually quite moved by the final events of the nuclear war itself were quite moving.

I've started The Nightmare Begins, the second book, already, for whatever that says about it.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics