Thursday, July 01, 2010

Kudos


After Burkas and Birkins: I Watched 146 Minutes of Sex and the City 2 and All I Got Was This Religious Fundamentalism by Lindy West went viral and was the most discussed piece of movie criticism in 2010, I got a bunch of extra hits to this here site.

For those that don't know, about four years ago I started a brief campaign to make her my nemesis. In this Random notes post I wrote, "In The Stranger's On Screen reviews for this week, Lindy West reviews the new movie Accepted. I'm moderately sure I saw the trailer for this at some point, but never had much interest until now. After reading that smug bullshit, I really want to give those people my ten bucks. I won't, however, as I'm sure it'll be on DVD in three months in an 'Uncut, Unrated and Uncensored' version. This version will be essentially the same, but will include one lame shot of boobs. They will be onscreen briefly. They will be fake. I will be unaroused and unimpressed, but nevertheless will wait for that. Why? Because I'm certainly not interested in seeing the damn thing twice just so I can see the brief shot of fake boobs!"

In The Boynton Beach Club, I suggested she be fired and replaced with a random word generator. She quoted that to me within the first minute of our first - and only - meeting, on Oscar Night 2007.

I think most of the hits were for Dear Lindy West, which isn't funny at all as a post, although it does have a link to Dude Hates, Like, All Ladies: Neil LaBute Bares His Woman-Fearin' Soul-Again, another of her critical triumphs.

But none of that is the point.

I come here today because Gallagher Is a Paranoid, Right-Wing, Watermelon-Smashing Maniac: The Decline and Fall of a Comedy Legend by Lindy West may be the most important piece of writing thus far this century.

Of course, there are plenty of easy, if uncomfortable, laughs to be had at the expense of the "comedy" that she notes "veers creepily close to white-power rhetoric", but there are still moments of pure bliss, "He says he can't remember why he used to feel pleasure in looking at a woman. And, 'There's only one kind of homosexual guy' and that's the pretty ones - why do homosexual men have to be so good-looking?' Gallagher. Listen. Is there something you want to share with us?"

Holy crap!

On her Twitter, Ms. West suggested she watched this to "to recover from Gallagher", Stewart Lee "on political correctness":





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics