Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tagline fail


I was never going to be an easy sell for The Last Exorcism. I think exorcism is silly. As I said here, I think The Exorcist is kind of silly.

But then the buzz has been around and sounding... at least interesting. I had my ear to the ground on it.

So, what do they do? They released the trailer with the tagline "If you believe in God, then you must believe in the Devil."

No, I don't.

Don't insult me.

Go fuck yourself.

If your goal was to ensure I would never, ever see this movie, job well done.

2 comments:

Bob Turnbull said...

I hear ya Neil, but...Once you've seen the movie, the tag line makes more sense. I'd dive into why, but I'd give away some of the general arc of the movie.

It's more of a contention by the religious people in the movie than an overarching general statement that the moviemakers are putting out there.

And...The movie is really very good. It builds its characters, it creates tension, devolves a bit int eh direction they chose, but still finishes pretty strong. I don't think the trailer is particularly selling this well, so it may not be what you think. At least consider renting it in a few months...

An I liked it "despite" having Eli Roth introduce it at our screening. He just simply bugs me...

Neil Sarver said...

Cool.

It's a weird point of contention of mine from back when I actually got into theological arguments somewhat on purpose.

Interesting to note it's a plot point. That makes sense. I may give it a chance on of these days on video. It's not nearly high on my list to stand much chance of me paying to see it in a theater.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics