Sunday, September 05, 2010

Clone wars


As a young Star Wars fan, I was less intrigued by the fall of Anakin Skywalker, final duel with between Anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi material, that would eventually form the basis of Revenge of the Sith, as others were.

What intrigued me about the hinted at back story was the Clone Wars.

Perhaps that's why I have more affection for Attack of the Clones than many others my age.

But even that only touched on the Clone Wars themselves.

Just after that, in 2003 Lucasfilm and Cartoon Network produced Clone Wars, a traditionally animated series by Henry Gilroy and Genndy Tartakovsky.

I watched the first DVD release from that, Clone Wars, Volume 1, and found it amusing enough, although the 12 minute run times of each episode left them a little less meaty than I would have preferred. After Revenge of the Sith came out, my fever was quelled and I never quite got around to Clone Wars, Volume 2, and the new CGI animated series, The Clone Wars, largely escaped my notice.

So, I must say it was more than a simple pleasant surprise when I started watching The Clone Wars: Complete Season One and am finding it to be much of what I'd always hoped.

I've only begun it, so I can't comment on the show as a whole, and don't mean this as a review as much as just an excited note.

It's a series of fun, small adventures within the context of the Clone Wars. They work well as a sci-fi cartoon adventure show, but also do nicely commenting on the Saga as a whole, in some ways better demonstrating the backwards nature of the world in which the good guys, as it were, fight for the Galactic Republic, which will morph into the evil Galactic Empire by the time of the original trilogy.

I don't guarantee I'll have more to say on the matter, but I am pretty excited about watching it.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics