Saturday, November 06, 2010

Heart of a parent, heart of a child


I watched Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril with Kimberly Rae last night. It's my favorite of the series.

It was her first experience with unadulterated Lone Wolf and Cub experience. She watched the Shogun Assassin screener with me, written about here.

It appears that the Guadalupe I Luv Video doesn't have a copy of the first movie, Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance, although maybe it's just out or I missed it.

The second movie, Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx, is largely covered, although in adulterated form, in Shogun Assassin, so there didn't seem much point in caring about the timeline.

And since she's already agreed to "Daigorō" as the middle name of the tummy monster if it's a boy, it seemed only right for her to understand why that means something to me, and this movies' take on "Parting Frost" from Lone Wolf and Cub, Volume 4: The Bell Warden is as good an explanation as I can offer.

I don't have a lot to say new about the movie, it's a favorite of mine. I think it's a wonderful group of stories, among my favorites from the comic as well, that comic co-creator and screenwriter Kazuo Koike weaves into a thematically sensible story amazingly well.

It struck me that the DVD of this movie looked better than the Blu-ray of Shogun Assassin. I don't know if that's me or if the materials available for the Japanese versions are simply better than for the reworked movie or the materials for those movies or just different expectations.

We had a great time watching this one. Kim is even considering getting the suckling Kintarō tattoo, like the tragic swordswoman Oyuki.

I think we need to find a copy of Sword of Vengeance if we continue, though. Another moment of Daigorō greatness there, and while we saw it in Shogun Assassin, I think it lacks for its original context and subtext there somehow.

But for those of you made curious by this and still subtitle averse, it also exists as Shogun Assassin 3: Slashing Blades of Carnage. I don't know how much that's altered compared to the original movie, aside from being dubbed.

I'm almost curious to watch the continuing the Shogun Assassin series by AnimEigo, despite my cool reaction to the original, if I weren't afraid they continue the trend of replacing Hideaki Sakurai's brilliant scores for the originals.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics