Sunday, December 12, 2010

Scott Pilgrim


I wanted to like Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. If for no other reason than my affection and admiration for Edgar Wright.

I've never read the Scott Pilgrim. Whenever I've looked them over to consider it, the faux children's book manga art style has made me roll my eyes and put it down.

As an admission of some hypocrisy that I'm not sure I can completely explain, the faux children's book manga style of Courtney Crumrin is part of what I so enjoy about it.

With the movie, I really do admire the moviemaking. It looks neat, and you can see where Wright finally got a chance to really run with the style he was developing with Spaced, and his enthusiasm is obvious.

Unfortunately, I'm still unable to really care about Michael Cera as a lead, and nothing about a single one of the characters in Scott Pilgrim was the least bit interesting to me. They all seem like the same people I've tried to avoid spending time with all of my adult life, not even obnoxious enough to be compellingly annoying... just dull, and that leaves the movie, despite a witty visual style, difficult to watch in an uninteresting, witless kind of way.

Anyway, I'm going to watch "Don't", the brilliant fake trailer Wright made for Grindhouse to try to wash the taste of hipster douchebag out of my mouth.




2 comments:

Kimberlicious said...

"it stinks, it stinks...yes mr. sherman..everthing stinks."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiMOKmp0uZc

Neil Sarver said...

Your feeling were a little less nuanced than mine, but I totally get where you're coming from.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics