Monday, January 31, 2011

Fuck Ferris!


Why do people like Ferris Bueller?

I'm not asking why people like Ferris Bueller's Day Off. That's a discussion for another day.

I want to know why people like - or think they like - Ferris Bueller, the character.

There's some kind of insidious genius to the film in that it seems to convince people that the would be, could be, should be Ferris.

But really, most of us are Jeanies and Mr. Rooneys, and that's not a bad thing. We're the ones who actually make the world run.

Ferris is a worthless piece of crap. He's that friendly guy who sits next to you doesn't do his work or does it half-ass and makes way too big a deal of his smallest triumphs while the decent people sit quietly and do what needs to get done. He gets promotions or at least avoids getting fired by glad-handing everyone around him with his alleged charms.

I think people thinking they would be, could be, should be Ferris Bueller is a small part, but an intriguingly symbolic one, of what's wrong in this country today. There's no sense of community. It's all self-involved "look at me and how cute it is that I have no basic work ethic or interest in my community as a whole!" and not enough doing what needs to be done.

Fuck Ferris!

7 comments:

Greg said...

I always hated that little fucker. Election worked for me in part because I imagined the Broderick character to be what happened to Ferris in life and it was satisfying to see him fucked over by an over-achieving cocktease.

Neil Sarver said...

I can get behind that.

Maybe I need to revisit Election one day soon.

Tudor said...

Totally on the fucking money. I could never understand why everyone had their tongue so far up Bueller's arse. The only reason I like the movie is because I related so much to the Cameron Frye character, not to mention the ever-brilliant Jeffery Jones.... the fact that Hughes directed it with such panache... hell, just about everything else... In fact, I like FBDO _despite_ FB. And I love Matthew Broderick, but I think it was a terrible piece of miscasting. Like Greg said, it was like FB got his comeuppance for being such an intolerable little shit when he breezed into university and turned into the character from Election: a film where nobody either gets what they want (apart from the lesbian sister sent to convent school), or learns their lesson.

Edward Copeland said...

An even bigger mystery is why anyone liked the Judd Nelson character in The Breakfast Club (or Judd Nelson in general for that matter).

Neil Sarver said...

Tudor, thanks! Yeah, I think there's something brilliant about the movie, if only because it gets audience behind a character that they really wouldn't like ordinarily.

Edward, I disagree. Mind you, I don't mean to spend an inordinate amount of time defending The Breakfast Club, but I think Bender has an obvious - in fact, too obvious - pain that gives him an edge for me.

Kimberlicious said...

i agree baby! this is why i love u..well not the only reason! but it helps! I did like the character "Bender" from "the breakfast club". I guess cause he has a reason to be a dick lol.

Neil Sarver said...

I'm glad there's something sensible in there, baby.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics