Thursday, January 06, 2011

Widgets


I like my blog widgets.

I'm sure some people are annoyed by them and at least as many don't care about them at all.

I get dorkily excited about them. Perhaps more about the idea of them then necessarily them in themselves.

The little Amazon slideshow is fun to use. I suppose I could or should imagine it as a potential way to sell crap, and I'm sure at least some readers think, "Oh, there's Neil trying to sell crap!", but I really do love it as a second point of commentary. Yeah, hardly anyone - if anyone at all - notices that, but that's the whole thing with this goofy thing anyway, it's all for me. Things I need to say in the ways I need to say them.

LinkWithin, I'm more frustrated with.

In theory, I love it the most of anything. It's the pure ego in me. "If you like this superdork screed by, you'll love this other superdork screed by Neil!"

And for that reason, it's not likely I will ever pull that widget from my blog.

Not to mention, their customer service is superawesome, and as a customer service guy that means a lot to me.

But I think there's a major philosophical difference between me and its intended purpose, and perhaps its most popular service.

I think they intend the service to draw people who find the older posts to the newest, and thus most important, posts. I wish it did more to send people who find the newest, and thus most boring, posts to my older, more interesting and entertaining, posts.

Oh, well.

I know what you're thinking. Just like Udo says, but what can you do?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics