Saturday, February 26, 2011

Good movies


It's goddamn Oscar weekend, so I guess it's as good a time as any to bring this up.

I don't give a crap about "good movies".

I don't know what that makes me exactly. I'm a "movie guy", so everyone assumes I do. But I'll tell you, there were 10 movies nominated for Best Picture this year. I've seen two of them, True Grit and Toy Story 3, and had the slightest interest in one other, The Fighter.

That's it.

Couldn't give a fuck about the others!

I'm sure there's one or two others that I might enjoy if I got around to watching them. I just don't know which one's and frankly the risk that most of them will be what I expect them to be, which I'm sure the majority are, just doesn't make it worth it to me.

I read Clash of the Cults - Nolan and Fincher by Greg Ferrara. It's a great article, and having seen something over half the movies by each of the directors, I agree with a lot of what he say. In fact, I agree with everything I'm qualified to have an opinion on.

Of course, most of it focuses on Inception and The Social Network, so I have no ability to express an opinion on a substantial amount of it, and you know what? I have no interest in changing that.

Other people enjoyed them, and I'm glad. I don't begrudge anyone their enjoyment, and yet it's nearly impossible to express that in a way that doesn't sound like I'm judging them for seeing them and/or enjoying them.

I just don't have any interest in them.

I've seen Great Movies from throughout the generations of moviemakers, and I'm interested in seeing new things that have, in my mind, the possibility of achieving that. But if we're just talking about the next Good Movie that will win the next Oscar, I don't care. I'm glad it entertained and/or moved you. That's frickin' awesome.

Me, I'll go ahead and watch Drive Angry until the next David Lynch movie comes out. If that makes me the kind of pretentious nitwit I'd bitch about if I were someone else, then I guess that's life.

I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics