Monday, February 21, 2011

Shame on you, Texas!


When I first moved to Texas, my friend Jo made it very clear to me on more than one occasion that my lazy west coast manners weren't going to cut here. I've consistently made every effort to live up to that expectation.

But I have to say, Texas has not lived up to it.

The folks back home would be shocked how often not one single healthy able bodied person will offer their seat on the bus to the obviously pregnant Kimberly Rae. Their jaws would fall to the floor at the complete and utter lack of this most basic act of etiquette, not to mention decency.

2 comments:

Greg said...

I take the metro to and from work and have for years. I can't remember the last time I sat down, and that's by choice. I go to work early so when I board the train there are always plenty of seats available but I don't use them because I know by the time I'm halfway to my destination, the train will have filled up and there are always other people, for whatever reason, who can use the seat more. Frankly, I don't want to be in the position of looking like a jackass for having a seat while some 83 year old woman with a walker has to try and stand.

Although, I will say this for the DC Metro area: I always see passengers willing to give up their seats to others who need them. I'd have to conclude that Texans could learn a thing or two from Washingtonians, Marylanders and Virginians.

Neil Sarver said...

My commute thankfully involves pretty moderately filled buses, so I sit, but I'm with you in general. I'd rather stand and stay standing than deal with watching for people who need the seat more or getting up or any of that.

And, I agree. I really did expect that the manners thing would be true...

... and in fairness, in many ways it is, and certainly people here are much more genuinely friendly than the people in Seattle and I generally like them - and here - better, but I've gotta say the consistency with which this happens is absolutely shocking to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics