Saturday, April 02, 2011

Earwigs



The Hobo with a Shotgun Trailer Contest Finalists are up.

I'm totally behind this one, Earwigs by Bruce LeGrow. Van Gore by Keith Hodder is leading at this writing, and I'll note it's my second favorite, as it goes.

Frankly, I'm a little underwhelmed by the subject matter of most. They seem a little too overtly jokey to me. They also, and this could be the judges bias, represent too obvious and limited a scope of subject matter.

I supposed it's tough when one is posting the video on YouTube, but it seems like there's too much emphasis on sex content all around, while none at all represent a sex movie at all. There's no Joe Sarno or Russ Meyer or a genre bender like Jess Franco - I think making a fake "Jess Franco" type trailer would be a hoot! - or even a trashy T&A comedy.

So, I confess that Earwigs partly stands out for not looking like the exact same type of movie we've already seen a dozen fake trailers for already. And, along with Van Gore, stands out for being believable that there could be a real movie behind it.

I suspect even in a more imaginative bunch, I could imagine Earwigs standing out, but I'll say it stands out all the more for having done a type of movie that didn't feel well covered at the time of Grindhouse.


4 comments:

Peter said...

Hey, I co-directed Van Gore, thanks for your words! I do agree with you, a trashy T&A comedy or anything channeling Russ Meyers would have been terrific. Initially, I proposed a sexploitation trailer. However, we came up with Van Gore shortly after and I was reminded it would be pretty tough to find a cast of girls willing to take their clothes off for no pay. If only right?

Creating the trailer as if it could be a full narrative by writing entire scenes then axing them to single shots or lines was how we approached writing it, and I'm glad that came through.

Neil Sarver said...

Thanks for your comment. I'm sorry it took me so long to reply.

I can definitely see that as an issue with a sexploitation trailer. If something like this comes up, I still might see what I can do.

Your efforts to make it appear to represent a whole movie definitely showed through. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Did music and audio mix on Earwigs, thanks so much for the kind words! Earwigs was the most fun I've had doing audio and music and it would be a dream to be able to do a feature length version of it!

Bruce said...

Thanks for supporting Earwigs. It was great fun making this trailer, and a great learning experience to play within the 50s aesthetic. I worked with a great group of people on this project, and writing for a feature is most definitely underway. Therefore, kindly tuck your pants into your socks and beware the beast below the bath mat!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics