Tuesday, December 06, 2011

No Khan!


Look, I know I blustered and said I wouldn't go to J.J. Abrams's Star Trek, then copped out. I'm weak. I've seen all of the Star Trek movies in a theater, and it got a lot of really good buzz.

The results, as detailed here, were positive, but nowhere near effusive.

I don't want to turn this into a blog where I spend too much time discussing future movie projects. I don't spend enough time here, and I'm much more interested in spending the time I spend here talking about movies that already exist... or at least future movie projects that I'm personally working on.

But, as Trek the second (along with others) will attest, "Star Trek" brings that out in me.

Let me say that when it was announced that Benicio Del Toro was being courted for the next "Star Trek" villain and it was a villain from the original series, I really thought Harry Mudd.

And I thought that could work.

Then comes Exclusive: We Know Who Benicio Del Toro Is Playing In Star Trek 2! by El Mayimbe.

KHAAAAAAN?!

Star Trek 2: Khan Begins (or Benicio Del Toro might be playing Khan in Star Trek 2. Why that's a bad thing) by Devin Faraci says it better than I can, but really?

I know Abrams issued a denial, but more recent events make it clear that he could easily have been giving a sly denial that Del Toro would play Khan not that Khan would be the villain.

Fuck that!

I won't go. Period.

I don't care what the buzz is. It wasn't that close to the target last time.

I don't need to see Space Seed replayed in this new timeline.

And most importantly I don't need to see it reworked as one more take on Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan.

Every time the "Star Trek" franchise thinks it needs re-invigorating, it goes back to Wrath of Khan, to one extent or another. From Star Trek: First Contact to Star Trek: Nemesis, even, to some extent, Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country and, greatly, Abrams's previous Star Trek.

It needs to be let go.

Not that I don't love The Wrath of Khan like the rest of you, but seriously.

I'll consider not going if I just start hearing those comparisons again, but if it's that naked in its attempt, I won't even consider it.

No Khan. No way.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics