Friday, April 06, 2012

My Amy Robbins


I watched Time After Time with Kimberly Rae. She'd never seen it before.

It's probably my favorite romantic comedy.

It would be easy to take that and dismiss it as a geek joke, even a smug and dismissive one. It is, after all, a movie about H.G. Wells, Jack the Ripper and time travel.

On the other hand, I think it was essentially formative. I saw it as a pre-teen. In fact, for whatever reason, I saw it quite a few times. I had a terrible crush on Mary Steenburgen. In fact, it still survives there. She's quite adorable.

In fact, the geeky guy friendly girl-gets-boy, etc., format of the movie may be formative, too.

I'd even say that, while Kim does not have any of the very '70s specific mannerisms and hang-ups, she's actually very much like Amy Robbins, Steenburgen's character. I'd never thought of it until there I was with her in the room and the character on the screen.

I didn't know I'd been waiting all my life for her, but perhaps, in some way I was.

Thanks for finding me, baby! I love you.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics