Thursday, April 26, 2012

Writing, Avengers, Avatar and such


So, I have my plan for my webseries pilots... I'd been planning the idea for three 9-10 minute pilots. I now have ideas for two 5-6 minute pilots.


I'm struggling with the first one, but I'm really excited about the two ideas I'm starting on. Kimberly Rae also made an interesting suggestion to the whole of it that looks like it may put an interesting spin on the whole thing.

I started reading Byte Sized Television: Create Your Own TV Series for the Internet by Ross Brown, following my decision from my post Webseries. It's got some decent advice, but it's all surrounding the idea that an internet "series" should basically amount to 5 minute comedy shorts.

I do understand why that's been considered the target.

Certainly in the recent past we were looking at online videos playing on YouTube via an online suggestion. Anything significantly longer than 5 minutes and not humorous or compelling in some other easily explained way was likely to be ignored completely or procrastinated.

Of course, I think that's why individual videos have gone viral but series remain somewhat elusive outside very specific groups. In 5 minutes, an audience member connects to the joke, but not the characters and isn't likely to make the effort to continue back.

I think with improving technology, including streaming on TV, as well as downloading, makes having an actual series something that could catch on... in fact, some series will catch on... to a much broader group, but only if they're able to hook them with more than an amusing joke.

The first Internet water cooler show will be something beyond what we've seen so far. There's a reason why none of the Internet series around aren't discussed around the water cooler, and in 2012 it's not that most people around the water cooler couldn't watch it.

Also, The Avengers is opening this weekend to some degree of acclaim, it would seem, my position, Goodbye, Marvel, remains unchanged and I'll be staying home.

However, this suggestion by Calamity Jon Morris is a very reasonable compromise for those who simply aren't able to bring themselves to join a boycott. I strongly urge everyone who believes in creator's rights but is still going to The Avengers to consider making a matching donation to the Hero Initiative.

Thanks to Ty Templeton for passing that suggestion along. I hope it gains some traction out there.

Finally, I started watching Legend of Korra. I'd been tempted by the ads, but then Chris Stangl of The Exploding Kinetoscope, as well as Garfield: Permanent Monday, wrote, "A preliminary assessment, but the first episodes of 'The Legend of Korra' may feature the most crazily inventive and beautifully staged fantasy action scenes ever seen on American television. So. Much. Fun."

I asked if I should get off butt and watch Avatar: The Last Airbender first.

He said that both being made for children it wasn't necessary, but I should for its own sake. The moral of the story is that I'm now hooked on both shows. And even knowing "Avatar: The Last Airbender" had gotten some significant acclaim, I'm still surprised just how much I'm admiring the storytelling in it.


UPDATE: Another alternative for those of you who are attending The Avengers or otherwise participating in Kirby-derived Marvel products. A Buck for Jack allows you to donate to The Jack Kirby Museum as a way to give to Kirby some of what his estate should be getting or simply to help celebrate the man who created so much of the elements of the work you're enjoying.

I encourage everyone to consider donating to the Hero Initiative and The Kirby Museum regardless.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics