Thursday, July 26, 2012

The weird, the dull and me



I get so easily sidetracked writing about the same old crap.

I've been going to Weird Wednesday, at least semi-regularly, but I don't say anything about those here, for one reason or another. I've watched this and that in recent days, although there are time issues with Conan that make that less than it might be.

Aside from going to the wonderfully crazy The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave there, I can't even remember the last time I watched a giallo. I've listened to some soundtracks. I'm trying to ruin Conan's chances of having decent musical taste as early as possible.

I've also caught the occasional poliziotteschi, although even those I've fallen behind on. I've also only barely dipped my toes into pepla or Lucha film, both of which I'd love to dive firmly into.

I also need to see Fuego, despite it's warning that I "keep away from the fire".

So, right now I have two things planned, one is the now half-written anti-origin screed I promised in Man tease. I'm not sure if either will come across as a step away from the norm of movie blogging, but...

... after that I want to go somewhere else.

I'm not sure where that is. I might just drop out for a bit. I have no particular commitment to this. In fact, I've, of course, only recently snuck back on here, and I certainly have other writing I'd feel better about getting finished with.

I do know that if I come back on any regular basis, it won't be for things like Rise (or, for that matter, Rise, I suspect), in which I merely give my own thoughts on a recent release, in a way that offers little that couldn't be found by another similar geeky movie blog.

For example, I found myself humbled that in Film Crit Hulk Smash: Hulk vs. The Dark Knight Rises, Film Crit Hulk managed to say "BEFORE WE BEGIN, PLEASE KNOW THAT HULK WILL TEPIDLY ACCEPT ARGUMENTS THAT THE DARK KNIGHT RISES IS NOLAN'S BEST BATMAN MOVIE. FOR ONE, HE SEEMS TO HAVE FINALLY EMBRACED THE CONCEPT OF HAVING FUN. HE TRULY DELIGHTS IN SHOWCASING ALL THE FUN TOYS AND RELISHES THESE SWEEPING SHOTS OF 'THE BAT' MOVING IN AND OUT OF THE PITTSBURGH SKYLINE. EVERY TIME SOMEONE SEES 'THE BAT,' IT SEEMS TO EVOKE THIS WRY SMILE AND A SENSE OF AWE AT JUST HOW MAGNIFICENT THIS THING THEY ARE BEHOLDING TRULY IS. AND HECK, AT TIMES NOLAN MAKES THIS FILM DOWNRIGHT JOKEY. HE ABANDONS ALL SENSE OF REQUIRED PRETENSE AND HAS JUST GONE FOR BOMBAST. AND WITH THOSE GESTURES HE SEEMS TO HAVE FINALLY EMBRACED THE INHERENT COMIC-BOOK-Y ELEMENTS OF THE CHARACTER..."

Yes, that's what I'd meant to say.

The stuff Hulk follow-up with, me no agree with.

I also want to say that I was gratified to see that The Loose Canon: Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance & Baby Cart at the River Styx vs. Shogun Assassin by Outlaw Vern took much the same position as my Shogun Assassin review.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics