Sunday, February 17, 2013

John dies


I haven't read John Dies at the End by David Wong, although having seen John Dies at the End, the movie adapted from it by Don Coscarelli, I can only say it's become a priority, if only so I'll feel properly prepared to read the sequel, This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It.

One of the problems I have with movies these days is that all are made for an audience who has seen something like it. Everything is easily pitched to a studio with one of those "This meets that" comparisons that made popular in the public's imagination after The Player.

Is this a little like Drive-In by Joe R. Lansdale, which Coscarelli was at one time working to adapt into a movie, or maybe a touch like Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk? Honestly, neither sounds right, but I'm not sure what I could do to get closer, at least without at also getting further away.

Is it like this trailer?



Again, it's something like that, but maybe more or, at least, different.

It takes something more than just originality to make something like this work, but it's still so refreshing to see.


2 comments:

Rick Bman said...

I read the book and didn't much care for it but I am really looking forward to the movie. I like the story that the book tells but the writing style just didn't really work for me. I can't put my finger on why that is exactly but it just didn't work for me. I think this is one of the instances where the movie will turn out better than the book, at least in my opinion.

Neil Sarver said...

We'll see. I'll try to remember to follow up on that. There's a bit of a wait for a copy from the library, so we'll see how my enthusiasm holds over that time.

I really did enjoy the movie a lot regardless. I'll be interested to hear if it turns out to work for you in a way the book didn't.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics