Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Crowdfunding


I like crowdfunding. I think some form or another is the future.

I've pledged to a couple. I've publicly supported a couple of others that I didn't have the money to pledge for at the time they came along.

Is it better or worse than the more familiar means? I like it better. I think, for the kinds of things I'm most interested in, it generally makes more sense than

I don't even hate the "big boys" ones. I would have supported the Veronica Mars. I had no interest in that Zach Braff one, but that had more to do with my apathy for his first movie than a feeling of resentment toward his entitlement.

I donated to Director's Cut by Penn Jillette and Adam Rifkin.

I'm currently hoping to find some change for Nevermore by Stuart Gordon, recently discussed and praised here, and starring Jeffrey Combs as Edgar Allan Poe, based on the one-man play they've been doing, but it falls at a bad time, so that might not happen.

There are problems with it still. I think there are advantages and disadvantages, say, to the differences between Indiegogo and Kickstarter, which can be found discussed at length by more experienced folks than me.

I think the concern that a certain reasonable donation should result in the purchase of a DVD or Blu-ray is a valid one. Right now that's still a background concern, and I assume with people raising production costs and still hoping to arrange a distribution deal have concerns over how the movie holding a debt of DVDs and Blu-rays could be a liability, or something more or less complex than that. I suspect that as crowdfunding becomes more common, that will be standard enough that it will just be expected by anyone who buys independent movies.

But I like the democracy of it.

It's not likely affect the biggest of the big anytime soon, of course.

And there is still the factor that it's easier to for the already notorious to get funding. Even here, I led with a bunch of more famous people's crowdfund projects and didn't mention Doomed! The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four, which I couldn't afford to support during its funding run, but think sounds amazing.

But finding supporters is always an issue, isn't it? I suspect we'll see new and interesting ways to publicize ourselves, beyond simply social media, which also depends on having a "social" base to build from.

Not to mention, I see that being a need that will come to be filled. It won't start with movies. Book publishers and music companies are the one's stumbling along, and I think a clever entrepreneur will come up with new ways to promote independent authors and musicians and promote them in the ways publishers and record companies have done traditionally. Not because they're awesome, but because they'll figure out how to make money on it.

(No, I don't have the "how", I am not a clever entrepreneur. Sheesh!)

And whatever that will be will go through a shakedown period in which it's widely criticized, too. That's how the world works.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics