Saturday, December 19, 2015

The force awakens


The original trilogy is like a great band at their peak. They're making hits, feeling it. They fall away a bit at the end, trying too hard to sound like themselves, but it's what everyone remembers. The prequels are like their weird period of experimenting with orchestras and world music and big concepts they can't quite keep contained in the realm of the pop song. This is like a cover band made up of skilled musicians playing their greatest hits competently but soullessly in an order that robs them of any context or meaning.

If you're looking for the richer, more nuanced explorations of the movie. Star Wars – Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015) by Roderick Heath and Star Wars: The Force Awakens by Outlaw Vern both say many of the same things I'd continue with, if I had the inclination. Someday, perhaps I'll find the energy to write more on the subject. I don't have my hopes up for that.

On the other hand, I remain optimistic for the Star Wars future. I'm behind on Star Wars Rebels, but have been enjoying it a lot. I liked Aftermath by Chuck Wendig and am interested in how that continues. I'm incapable of not being excited for a Star Wars movie starring Donnie Yen, even if I remain skeptical of Gareth Edwards. And most of all, I think Rian Johnson is amazing and I can't wait to see what he has in store for us.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics