Monday, May 16, 2016

Buckaroo Banzai


I love The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension. I'm really excited for the new blu-ray.

I'm also coming around to being interested in jumping into Kevin Smith's recent work, as discussed in More batshit please, even if I haven't gotten around to it.

So, the rumor going around today, Kevin Smith Is Making an Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai TV Show is not without potential to pique my interest. This is exactly the type of thing I'd like to be excited by. And I'll be paying attention to see who he casts and what kind of writers and crew he brings to this to see if it sounds like it's headed in a direction with a lot of potential.

Here's what I'm really struggling with, though. The pitch, as quoted, is "Basically you just do the entire movie for season one, then season two you finally do the sequel we’ve all dreamed about, Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League."

For a lot things, I'd call that a very promising way to go. Big Trouble in Little China? Yep. How about Krull? Sounds like a plan. Compañeros? Sure. Maybe Lady Snowblood? Makes sense to me.

The trouble here is that the entire set-up for Buckaroo Banzai is that we're dropped in the middle of series that feels ongoing. We don't understand the relationships, which are more important than the movie bothers to explain. That's a lot of why it only works for a certain percentage of the audience, many of whom obviously only feel alienated by this. It is the charm of it, though. A season long re-telling of the movie seems almost destined to fill in all of those wonderful blanks.

And, while it feels like that's likely, it's hard for me to see this filling what I've craved in hoping for more Buckaroo Banzai over the years.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics