Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Leftover rage


These are some leftover thoughts that never made it into Politics as sport.

First of all, I never came out and said nothing that happens in November will make this election worthwhile.

Years from now will I be able to say, "Yeah, that was something we had to go through in order to get where we are now."? Maybe. Sometimes people say things like "Yeah, I needed to suffer through having aggressive cancer in order to get where I am now.", so it's possible I will. It'll be a good while, though.

This election is aggressive cancer.

The thing that always gets me about ad hominem attacks on presidential candidates is that they largely state the obvious, "This person is an asshole."

Duh.

Anyone who stands up and says "You know who would make a good President of the United States? Me!" is an asshole. I got nothing else for you on this.

You can wrap your candidate in cotton candy and flags in your mind and imagine it's not true, but you're deluding yourself.

It's ok. I think you have to be an asshole to get that job done, too. And it's ok that you don't want to know how sausage is made. I don't care about either. Presidents and presidential candidates are assholes and sausage is guts wrapped in an intestine. It is what it is.

The point is to find the asshole who will use their powers to get the things done you think will lead us to the most peace, prosperity, life, liberty, etc. as possible.

The disappointing part to me here isn't that the candidates are assholes, it's that all of the rest of us are too. Fuck us.

I also wanted to note as a footnote to the football argument, that we also go too far with football, too. "That guy's a rapin', murderin' son of a bitch, but maybe we should let it go, because teams gotta win, know what I'm sayin'?"

Our ability to ignore the wrongs of "our team" in all aspects of our life is pretty horrifying. Luckily, we're all pretty good at not looking in the mirror too carefully and will just see all of this as what the other guy does, so we can all stay sane.

And in a year, now matter what, we'll ignore that any of this took place.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics