Wednesday, May 11, 2016

More batshit please


I have a complicated relationship with Kevin Smith and his work, but that isn't the issue here.

But it is why I'm behind on his work.

Which might be too bad, because honestly, I'm kind of intrigued by the very thing everyone is griping about.



Here's Kevin Smith’s Yoga Hosers Looks Batshit Bizarre by John Squires that I'm using in part because it doesn't make a ton of judgments against "batshit bizarre".

I have not gotten around to Tusk, despite the fact that the majority of complaints about it amount to "too weird", which is no kind of complaint at all to me.

So, the fact that this is only continuing as his creative through-line is pleasing to me.

I remain unsure that he is a creator whose brand of "batshit bizarre" will work for me personally, although that is certainly still up-in-the-air. I certainly put forth that I am struggling against that prejudgment, which is why I've held off this long.

That said, I am in no way comfortable with the crazy slough of articles where everyone complains about how fucking weird his movies have gotten.

Good for him! I'm glad as hell he's making weird-ass movies. If they turn out to be weird-ass movies that don't work for me, I'll still be glad as hell he's making the weird-ass movies he wants to make, because I want the world to have more batshit fucking movies. I won't like them all, but I'll be happier that they exist.

So, yes, I need to get on to my ass and watch Tusk, put my money where my mouth is on this issue.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics