Monday, November 14, 2016

The hermit


So, today is the day.

I'm dropping off Facebook again. This time I'm looking into the idea of dropping off permanently. Last time was very good for my sanity and I think this time might be even better.

For the time being, I'm staying on Twitter, because it's traditionally been less of aggravating as well as being less of a time suck. If I recognize that to stop being true, I'll drop that, too.

I can't imagine I'll drop off from Goodreads or Letterboxd.

And I might be spending more time here, blogging, as I always mean to be, at least more often than I am. We'll see.

What I really want is to figure out what I'm going to do to not be another person pretending the world didn't catch fire on election day. I don't have any plan for that. Like most of people, I'm exhausted by all of this, which doesn't make that easy.

To start with, I plan to try to, as Neil Gaiman suggests, make good art. I go all around on how I want to deliver said art, which is among the obstacles I set for myself. I think I know.

I've tended to come back to Me moviemaker in my thinking. Not to mention, I think there's an amazing world to innovate in independent serials. As such, it's very difficult to imagine that some part of me won't want to do that.

That said, I recently read the article Autism features may be more severe in old age by Rebecca Ann Charlton and think that might be a process. If it is, it would fit with my own take on what is going on in my own brain, making it likely that my best days for networking and bringing together a major movie project of any kind are behind me, and mostly spent trying to get myself to do things rather than doing them.

That's to to beat myself up, merely to keep grounded with the truth of what life is and likely will be.

Frankly, I'm not sure yet. I need to spend some time at work in my head, which is why I'm going hermit.

I hope to see you all on the other side.

2 comments:

Steven Millan said...

Sorry to hear that you decided to leave Facebook,since the post election fallout has badly affected everyone on the planet. Glad to know that you'll otherwise be everywhere else on the Internet.

Neil Sarver said...

I had essentially made the decision before the election to at least take a break. The election was a factor and certainly made it an emergency of sorts, but Facebook is an enormous time suck, as well as being an overwhelming barrage of constant opinion and sometimes I need to step away if I ever want to do anything with my life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics