Thursday, December 15, 2016

Star pacifism


This isn't so much a full post, as I've thought about this for a couple of years and never really come up with a lot to say other than to note it, which I wanted to do on record, so that perhaps I'll stop thinking about what I might have to say about it.

The Dreams of Cody Sunn-Childe is the story of the original Marvel comics series issue 46. It was written by J.M. DeMatteis under the pseudonym Wally Lombego. The pseudonym was due to a dispute over the story, in which the title character is a pacifist who martyrs himself for his beliefs. DeMatteis wrote the details in The Dreams of Wally Lambego, and followed up in Star Wars... Again. I recommend them.

Since then, Star Wars: The Clone Wars has had at least two episodes that explored pacifist characters, Jedi Crash, written by Katie Lucas, and The Deserter.

A more dedicated blogger than I would write about how these situations differ, Lucasfilm's licencing department, George Lucas having evolving views, differences between his views of the Clone Wars compared to his views of the rebellion or specific differences between the way these stories and how they differ philosophically and in how they contrast their pacifist characters against the main characters in the stories.

I'm just going to leave this here as an interesting note.

For what it's worth, I suspect the Clone Wars vs. rebellion line of thinking would lead to the deepest vein, which isn't to say I have any good reason to believe it to be the most accurate, but I've still never gotten anywhere that interesting with it beyond noting that.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics