Thursday, February 02, 2017

Democrats, losing and football


I've mentioned a lot of things that the Democrats and Democratic supports have done wrong and continue to do wrong, but this one seems to be the biggest right now.

Not dealing with having lost by the rules of the game being played.

Mind you, I'm not one of those people who has any comprehension of the "get over it" argument. That just seems to me like "Well, he's at the baseball field, you're going to have to let him beat you with that bat without complaint now. That's just how it goes."

Yes, I'm going to go insane with sports metaphors here. I don't know why.

There's this insane tendency to go on about Hillary Clinton's superior number of votes as proof of something valuable. It's not meaningless, but it's also not terribly valuable.

It feels to me like supporters of a football team - I am, of course, talking about American football - going on about how their team would have won the Super Bowl if only touchdowns and field goals were given equal value on the scoreboard. You can make the argument that all scores should be equal, but it simply isn't the rules of the game you're playing.

Now, of course, I don't know the answer to the problem that the Electoral College is intended to solve, but I think there's something deeply offensive about the solution that some citizens votes are weighted higher than other citizens. I also think that there are good reasons for a touchdown to score higher than a field goal in football.

What they have in common, though, is that if you're going into the off-season thinking about how well you would have done with the rules you think we should have had, and putting all of your work on ensuring your kicker is the best there is, you won't win next year either.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics