Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Not listening


I can't tell you how exhausted I am by everything right now.

The 2016 election has clarified a number of things for me.

One of the key things is that none of us listen to each other. It's the way we got the result we, as a society, deserve in that election.

We are a society of it. We are too busy looking for how to show how right we are and not considering the ways we might be wrong.

I had a whole plan for this post where I went into the different ways I see different groups doing it, not just the ones you expect, or where you're supposed to expect it. The problem is that the ultimate is that it's essentially everyone.

I'm not stepping away from my general political beliefs or questions, as I just said, in Moderation and the failure of the future, I'm a radical by nature, and I believe what I believe. Right now, the thing we are all short on has nothing to do with individual beliefs, it is actual listening. Not the kind where we are trying our next move in a great conversational chess game, but the kind where we try to understand our fellow humans so we can actually connect with one another

As long as we are all failing at that, and we are, we are losing as human beings by definition. If we're not getting there, then all of the other arguments don't really matter.

I don't know. I'm pretty fucking disgusted with all of us, quite frankly.

Here's Living Colour, whose new album, Shade, is as good as anything they've done, performing "Wall", from their 1993 album Stain on Late Night with Seth Meyers. It's more optimism than I suspect we deserve, but it's so nicely done, and I hope we live up to it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics